What is the fall without at least one thing pumpkin? If it has to be one thing, for the Happy Hearts Kitchen that would be the Don Bynner’s Mother’s Mother’s Pumpkin pie. Recipes handed down through the generations show us how delicious it is to make everything from scratch! For this recipe you will need 1 traditional pie crust or you can go with the gluten free option and bake the filling right into custard cups.
To Roast the Pumpkin
- Small pumpkins make the best pumpkin pies. To roast 2 small pumpkins (approximately 6-7 pounds each):
- Seed pumpkins and cut into wedges approximately 3″ wide.
- Brush all sides with AOOC Blood Orange Olive Oil.
- Place skin-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast 35-40 minutes until tender.
- Let cool and mash. (Purée optional.) (We prefer mashed.)
- 1 can evaporated milk + regular milk to make 3 cups,
- The remaining are Dry Ingredients:
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1½ tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp.
Mix In a separate bowl:
- 3 c. roasted pumpkin
- 3 c. eggs – beaten
- Combine 1 can evaporated milk + regular milk to make 3 cups on stove and bring to a gentle simmer.
- While milk is heating, mix together dry ingredients with the pumpkin and eggs.
- Gently pour into 2 blind baked pie crusts or custard cups. Bake 1 hour in 400º oven or until knife comes out clean.
- Serve very cold with whipped cream topping.