Cranberry, thou art the perfect sweet-tart ingredient to a rich meal~
This Cranberry relish (or sauce if you put in the extra time) is perfect for dipping the St.Louis Turkey in a Bag right into. Give each guest their own ramekin of this super sauce or serve from a gravy boat for fans of this American traditional dish!
- 12oz bag whole cranberries
- 4 fresh cuties, mandarin oranges or tangerines peeled (removing as much fruit fiber, skin, pulp as possible at this stage will produce a smoother result. But if you like this more like a relish just remove peel)
- Juice of 1 Orange or 2 cuties
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Fresh cutie unpeeled, sliced skin on into 1/4 inch thin pieces
- 1/4 cup AOOC Cranberry Pear BV
- 1/4 cup AOOC Cara-cara Orange and Vanilla Balsamic
- 1 Honey crisp apple, skin on diced
- 1 cup raspberries (optional adds nice red color and more sweet/tart aspect)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- strainer or sieve to lessen pulp and seeds (optional)
- Bring water, AOOC Cranberry Pear BV, AOOC Cara-cara Orange and Vanilla BV, and Orange Juice to a light boil in a lidded dutch oven or ample sized pot.
- Add remaining ingredients when first bubbles show and bring pot to a simmer on med-low.
- Cook with lid on, occasionally stirring until all fruit is soft and a thicker sauce has begun to form.
- Remove any thick bubbles from the top. You can now cook this until desired thickness if you like a thick relish.
- OPTIONAL: To make into a sauce, sort through and move any large pieces of fruit to the blender along with a cup of liquid (we used half of the total mixture). Try to leave the tasty morsels of the small cranberries in the pot. Blend fruit and liquid until smooth. Strain through a mesh strainer or sieve removing any remaining seeds or pulp. Return to pot and reduce to desired consistency, approx. 15 minutes.
Serve 6-7 and you can serve this dish Hot or Cold, great to prep the day before!