As the Happy Hearts Kitchen has presented on our WJHL Daytime Tri-Cities the St.Louis turkey in a bag recipe is one of the best ways to keep your turkey moist as well as add TONS of flavor from the delicious herbs and spices! Using the Abingdon Olive Oil Company’s Mushroom Sage Infused OO crisps the skin in the bag and adds an amazing savory flavor without any garlic!
Mix the Following In a Measuring Cup
- 1 c. AOOC Mushroom & Sage Olive Oil (or traditional EVOO)
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. pepper (½ white, ½ black)
- 2 Tbsp. salt (less than 1 T fine sea salt)
- 1 tsp. nutmeg – fresh ground
- pinch ground cloves
Crush all of those spices together then adding:
- 1 Tbsp. Basil
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley
- Put turkey in brown grocery store bag.
- Pour spice mix all over turkey inside bag.
- Sprinkle with paprika generously until red all over.
- Moisten the brown bag with water to make it easier to close. Be sure the top of the bag is not touching the turkey.
- Secure shut with twisty ties, twine, string or staples.
- Set assembly in a roasting pan and bake at 325º as directed for unstuffed bird based on weight.
8 to 12 pounds 2 3/4 to 3 hours 12 to 14 pounds 3 to 3 3/4 hours 14 to 18 pounds 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours 18 to 20 pounds 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours 20 to 24 pounds 4 1/2 to 5 hours
- Once done, open bag to maintain crisp skin. Let stand for 15-20 minutes before carving.
The next day use your leftovers to make a crowd pleasing Thanksgiving Stew!